Lock it up. Check and double-check that you have locked all the doors and windows.
Check under the mat. If you store an extra key outside your house, remove it. Instead, give the key to a trusted friend or neighbor in case someone needs to enter in an emergency.
Communicate. Inform a friend or neighbor that you will be away. Ask them to keep an eye on the house and give them a way to reach you to report any suspicious activity. But don’t communicate your absence on social media!
Forego deliveries. Make sure to stop delivery of packages, mail, newspapers, and anything else that could pile up on your porch. If not stopping them, ask your trusted friend or neighbor to pick these items up every other day.
Remove temptations. Do not leave wrapped gifts or expensive electronics visible through windows and doors.
Get Smart! Today’s smart technology has you covered with options from companies such as Amazon, Nest, and Ring and can include wireless installation, online monitoring and other great features. Here are some common devices available:
- Cameras: Whether connected to the front doorbell, mounted on the porch, or used on the interior, motion activated cameras offer great peace of mind.
- Door locks: Afraid you left the front door unlocked? Need to give someone access while you are away? Smart locks using PIN codes make this easy.
- Water alarms: Leaks from appliances or pipes can do extensive — and expensive — damage to your home if they go undetected. Water alarm systems typically use sensors placed near appliances or other trouble spots to alert you when they sense moisture.
- Smoke Detectors: Before your neighbors ever see the smoke, your smart device can send notification to your phone of a potential problem.
- Electrical Outlet Timers: Allow you to turn on lights using the app or preset a timer to come on each night while you are away.
There are too many options to list here, but you get the idea. Whether you decide on a smart device or had a centrally monitored alarm system installed be sure to let us know. Some of these alarms could qualify you to save on your homeowners insurance! Please give us a call to learn more.
P.S. It’s a great time for a home inventory
If your home was burglarized, would you know what was missing? A home inventory is a crucial tool to help replace everything that was lost. Visit our website at https://insplace.com/much-homes-value-whats-inside/ to learn more about creating your home inventory.